AWAKENING – SUNDAY NIGHTS
Our parish based catechetical program for students in grades 9-12 meets on Sunday evenings September through April, from 5:30-8:00pm in the Family Life Center (check out the calendar link for specific meeting dates). All grades meet first in the hall of the Family Life Center before breaking into their grade level small groups.
We use the CATHOLIC FAITH HANDBOOK and the CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH for our primary catechesis. Incorporating hands on, activity based learning approach. We’ve crafted a 2 year journey through the Catechism (9-10th grades) in preparation for a two year Confirmation journey (11-12th grades) where the students will focus on understanding the Sacraments of the Catholic Church, how to live and move in communion with God and embrace the anointing received in the Sacrament of Confirmation. Our Senior program focuses on defending the faith and deepening our understanding of ‘difficult’ Church teachings.
OTHER HIGH SCHOOL EVENTS
In addition to and as part of our Awakening program, High School students have opportunities to grow in discipleship participating in these activities:
- Canned Food Drive/Scavenger Hunt
- Fish Retreat for the 9th graders
- Decorating Thanksgiving Boxes for distribution to area needy via the society of St. Vincent DePaul
- Vocation Night
- Theology of the Body Retreat for 11th graders
- N.E.T. Retreat
- Souper Bowl of Caring
- 30 hour famine retreat
- Youth Stations of the Cross
- Steubenville on the Bayou summer conference
- Jr High Summer Camp (as counselors)
- Archdiocesan Youth Conference
- Mission Trip to the Valley
A free-form scripture study open to all high school youth 9th through 12th grades on Wednesday evenings year round, 6:30-9:00. *dinner provided*. We wrapped up the T3 Bible Timeline from Genesis to Jesus and will Church History from Acts to today in September.